/* */

Friday, December 9, 2011

Wu Chun's Selflessness!




32-year-old Wu Chun is making headlines more often due to undertaking for prominent roles in movies.

Since Wu Chun's exit from Taiwanese boy band Fahrenheit, the star has been dabbling more in acting for the silver screen. Currently, his acting resume is slowly expanding through his involvement in movies that co-starred renowned names in the entertainment industry such as Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung in "14 Blades" and "My Kingdom". Recently, Wu Chun paid a visit to Singapore with actor-producer Raymond Wong and acclaimed director from "Ip Man" Wilson Yip to promote his latest movie, titled "Magic To Win". An interview with Wu Chun was conducted recently after the press conference of "Magic To Win" at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel Singapore.


Q: What made you decide to take up the role in "Magic To Win"?
Wu Chun: The director Wilson Yip. All along, I've admired his productions, and I've always wanted to work with him. When he approached me, he told me that the film would be unlike "SPL", "Dragon Tiger Gate" and "Ip Man". Instead, it would be a film in the fantasy genre, which is a new concept in the Chinese movie industry. I thought it would be something new for me to try, and since I really want to work with Wilson, I took up the offer.

Q: What was the most challenging part for you during filming?
Wu Chun: I think the most challenging part is the beginning. You should know that I didn't get to have a complete version of the script as the director was constantly changing and improvising it. I was also not allowed to read the old script. Hence, during the beginning, it was really hard for me to get into the character's role.

Q: Being a martial arts fan, did you try to get some tips from Wu Jing?
Wu Chun: I did ask him some questions as he learned Wushu before, such as how he prepares himself for his roles as martial artists. I wished I could have asked him more questions because it was such a rare opportunity.

Q: If you were given a chance to switch roles, which character would you want to play?
Wu Chun: Personally, I like Wu Jing's character because there is a great deal of development for him, such as the reason for his wanting to return to the past. However, my role as an "invisible" spirit is also fun to play as it is similar to Raymond Wong's character in the previous "Happy Ghost" films. This time I get to play tricks on people, or pull their pants.

Q: If you can have the power of making someone happy, who would it be?
Wu Chun: It would be my father because he is alone most of the time, and I worry that he feels lonely. As I am always working abroad, I cannot be there with him even though he is getting older so if I can make him happy, I will also be the happiest person on Earth.


Wu Chun is happy if his father is happy.
Q: The female lead in the movie is only 17 years old. Will you be able to date someone of that age in real life considering the huge age gap?
Wu Chun: I don't mind as long as she has what I am looking for personality-wise.

Q: As this is Karena Ng's first time acting in a feature film, did you give her any tips?
Wu Chun: I didn't need to teach her about acting, but I tried to let her know some things to take note of and make her feel more at ease during filming. For example, there was a scene where she needs to touch my chest to read my heart. At first she was scared to do it, so she just placed her hand above my chest without touching it. I just grab her hand and place it right on my chest, so that she wouldn't feel shy during the filming.

Q: This is the first time you used your own voice for dubbing in Cantonese. Was it tough for you, and did you have to do any preparations?
Wu Chun: It was a challenge for me to dub in Cantonese as I don't speak much Cantonese. But I requested to the director to allow me to try to do the dubbing myself.

Q: How do you feel about finally being able to present audiences your own voice in the film?
Wu Chun: I felt really happy, as I was able to feel that it is my own work from beginning to end. Previously, I worked as hard in filming, but when the final product was released, the fact that it was not my own voice made me feel as though the contribution to the film is not made by me. But I had no choice then, as it might affect the movie's ratings if they were to use my voice. I definitely have to work on my language more.


Wu Chun is satisfied if he can put 100% into his work.
Q: What are your upcoming plans?
Wu Chun: I am looking into a new movie script, which will probably start filming next year. However, after the promotional events for "Magic To Win" have ended, I will take a short break from acting to rest and spend more time with my family.

Q: How is the progress for your new book going so far? Can you tell us what is it about?
Wu Chun: Well, it is almost 70% done, and it is definitely not a photobook! It is mostly a collection of short essays, accompanied by lots of photos, but the photos are normal everyday pictures taken mostly by myself or by my family. It is purely for charity purposes and I hope that next year I can get involved in more charity work.

Q: Thank you so much for the interview!
Wu Chun: My pleasure, and thank you.

By Tammy Ang
Cinema Online, 08 December 2011

1 comments:

Bumble Bees Wife said...

I have never doubted your passion for the arts...I have never doubted the kindness of your heart, in your previous blogs I saw a picture of a man and I simply knew somehow the child is in there somewhere....like Aaron, that's why I'm happy to see pics of you and Aaron so close and friendly, I will always be a fan of a wonderful womans son....I pray that your father will always have joy in what you do....maybe one day I will get to shake your hand....